Sunday, November 6, 2011

Attacking paint imperfections on a wingtip

Sometimes I am bored... today I attacked every minor speck on the right wingtip.  Pretty much as perfect as it will get after I finished.  First you have to find the speck, then cut it down with some 2000 grit paper, the clean and use diminishing compound to bring back the finish.  As the compound breaks down it needs to be wetted to continue the process to end up with a shine that matches the untouched areas.  It is pretty amazing but you need to be cautious of cutting into the underlying color or primer.  As I have done this more and more I have become somewhat skilled in evaluating a speck before trying to improve the finish... most times I have been getting it right and the finish has been getting better and better; mostly to the right side of the plane though since it is nearer to my lights and the bulk of my work area.

I enjoy fussing with the finish.

diminishing compound on paint imperfections ready to buff back to a shine