Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oil line chaffing with oil cooler mounting flange

Inspecting the engine in anticipation of adding a Pmag I noticed some chaffing of an oil line feeding the oil cooler with one of the unused mounting flanges.  I had contemplated this interference when I initially routed the line during the installation but never addressed it.  Fortunately I caught it before it became an issue.

I was able to get a hacksaw blade into position to cut away a section of the flange slowly working it with my hands.  With a bit of emery cloth the cut was finished and I bedded the hose in some RTV where it could rub against the housing.  Much better now.

oil line cutting into the cooler flange
cutting away the flange to relieve interference with the oil line 
interference removed and oil line bedded in RTV
much better :)

While I was in a maintenance frame of mind I followed up on an intermittent connection for the boost pump from my last engine start.  I used insulated fast on connections and the power side was not fully seated.  After getting it engaged a bit more I secured it with a zip tie to the pump.

boost pump and wiring