Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dynabeads

I don't really have any particular problems lately, but I like to tinker.  As it turns out this is one of the great joys of experimental aviation.  This past weekend I installed new HID landing lights in my ductworks leading edge units, put together a wing jack, and loaded up my tubes with an ounce of Dynabeads in each tire.

The Dynabeads are very small ceramic beads that are inserted into your tire or tube and dynamically balance the wheel assembly while it is rotating.  I initially ran into these on a motorcycle forum some time ago and have had it on a fuzzy list to give a try with the airplane.

a two ounce package of dynabeads
It takes some patience and persistence to coerce the beads through the valve but eventually I was able to get an ounce into each tube.

feeding the dynabeads into the tube throughout the valve
they recommend replacing the stems with new ones with filters