Saturday, January 28, 2012

HID lighting retrofit

With the plunging price of HID retrofit systems I researched on VAF and ordered a 55 watt system from DDM Tuning for a whooping 50 dollars plus shipping.  For that price I selected the low profile 'slim' lighter weight ballast 55 watt unit with 5000k H3 bulbs.

It shipped via USPS directly from Shanghai China and included all the pieces and fittings to directly plug into my existing Ductworks lights.  After verifying operation and getting a bit hypnotized from the lights I spent a bit of time deciding on how I would mount everything.

The first light on the left side is a 100 watt halogen.  Take note of the fade in and out for wig wag operation as the light dims and brightens. On the right side the electronic ballast provides complete cut out and on making the operation very strobe like.  The output and visibility from these lights is just amazing!

HID landing light retrofit